WESTON-IN-GORDANO

PARISH COUNCIL

 

Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3 Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                          Clevedon Road

                                                                                                            Portishead

                                                                                                            BS20 8PN

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 7th JULY 2016 AT 7.30 p.m. IN THE VILLAGE HALL, WESTON-IN-GORDANO

PRESENT:    Cllrs.  Mrs S Chambers, D Giles, P Harris, M Squire and P Yates-Round.

                       Bernie D’arcy, Avon Wildlife Trust

                       Jennifer Fawcett-Thorne, Parish Liaison Officer

                       Mrs C Dixon, Parish Clerk

 

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE:  Cllrs J Bennett and D Down.  PC Jenny Clark had sent her

apologies for not attending meeting, although she would try to attend and advised there was no

crime in the village.  However, Cllr Squire said he had reported a theft from his van and had a

reference number from the police.

 

2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING: The minutes of 2nd June meeting were agreed and signed off by Cllr Yates-Round. 

 

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES AND ACTIONS : None

  

4. FINANCE:

Bank balance:  £7431.63

Balance at this time last year £6612.20

Clerk’s monthly expenses: £1.50

Invoices:  SWALEC - electricity for Cadbury Lane lamp and phone box-   £11.16

                 SSE contracting – maintenance for Cadbury Lane lamp                 £11.90

Donation sought by Sts Peter and Paul Church towards upkeep of burial ground (£500 donated last year).  Following discussion three cheques signed including one for the church for £500.oo

 

5. PLANNING:

application 16/P/1517/RM – Weston Lodge Farm, Valley Road, - Submission of Reserved Matters for approval of appearance, landscaping layout and scale for the erection of a farm worker’s dwelling pursuant to outline planning permission 15/P/0122/O (outline planning permission for the erection of a farm worker’s dwelling with access for approval and appearance, landscaping, layout and scale reserved for subsequent approval).  Clerk advised that she had not been able to view the application on the planning portal due to an error on the internal server.  However, a councillor had seen the details and advised that the dwelling was to be in the same style as the Weston Lodge Farm for a four-bedroomed house.  Following discussion there was no objection to the application.  Clerk to write to Chief Planning Officer (with copy to Nigel Ashton) advising that council has requested a discussion with the Planning Officer.  Planning application issues the parish council have passed have been refused by North Somerset Council.  Why?  Parish Council seeks clarification on rules and responsibilities of parish councillors in the initial planning process.  

Consent for works to trees re 16/P/1165/WT at 5 Sprigg Drive. T1 conifer- fell – NOTED

 

6. HIGHWAYS/PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY:

Cllr Squire advised that the Vehicle Activated Sign had been installed on the first signpost passed the 30mph sign at Clevedon end of village, but has since moved this to the lamp-post opposite 2 Myrtle Cottage near junction of Cadbury Lane as he was concerned about the danger of changing batteries so close to the road and can keep an eye out for the batteries getting low.       

 

WESTON-IN-GORDANO

PARISH COUNCIL

 

Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3  Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                          Clevedon Road

                                                                                                            Portishead

                                                                                                                               BS20 8PN

6. HIGHWAYS/PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY: (continued)

Cllr Giles had received an email from Rob Thomson of North Somerset Council Highways following the site meeting about traffic calming measures.   One of his engineers is preparing some options.

 

7. ROUTINE CORRESPONDENCE:

From North Somerset –– None

Avon Wildlife Trust – Magazine - NOTED

Clerks & Councils Direct – Newsletter - NOTED

 

8. SPEEDWATCH: No speedwatches had been undertaken as it was difficult to get out in the rain.  However, there should be more activity in July.   

      

9. GORDANO GREENWAY:  David Fish of North Somerset Council will draw up plans in order to put forward to local councils for funding.

 

10.NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH:  There is still a co-ordinator vacancy.

 

11. RURAL BROADBAND;  Nothing to report. 

 

12. AVON WILDLIFE TRUST:  Bernie D’Arcy, Conservation Officer for Avon Wildlife Trust, had asked to meet with the councillors to advise that a recent project had been undertaken regarding the state of land and ditches in the Gordano Valley.  Further funding had been secured from Wessex Water to carry on this work.  Bernie was setting up a partnership between key bodies including Natural England and North Somerset Council.  Issues raised under the project are land management and water quality and she asked if the councillors knew of any problems locally.   Under the project, Avon Wildlife Trust are holding a day event for farmers who may need advice.  Flyers of the event were circulated.  Bernie advised she is working on the SSSIs in the valley and is the contact for any problems in the area.  There are no flooding problems in the area.  Cllr Yates-Round says he is concerned that there are no toads crossing the road this year (for which the parish council had purchased toads crossing warning signs last year), Bernie replied that this is not unusual some years. Cllr Yates-Round also asked about the trees growing high in the hedge next to the B3124 by the Avon Wildlife Trust land.    Bernie advised they were too big to coppice and it would depend on sufficient funding.  There are restrictions on cutting bramble because of owl flight.  Gates and fences are in a poor state. Bernie was advised that the bridleway over Middle Hill Common was overgrown.  The volunteer conservation group will be asked to have a look at this.  Bernie asked if a volunteer would come forward to be warden of the Common.  She also asked for the Trust to be advised when the field below the church was being used for village events.   Cllr Yates-Round thanked Bernie D’arcy for attending the meeting and she then left.           

 

16. ANY OTHER BUSINESS:  Cllr Harris advised that there had been problems with cars parking in the gateway to a field (which he needs access to) opposite the entrance to the Police HQ and asked for support from the parish council.  The police have also been involved as it is believed they may own the ground/verge outside the field.    

Register of Members Interests forms were collected from Councillors.    

Future PC meetings (all Thursdays): 2016 –

4th August, 1st September, 6th October, 3rd November, 1st December.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.15p.m.ighways).High