Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3 Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                          Clevedon Road

Email:blackrockcfd@hotmail.com                                                       Portishead

Website: www.westoningordano.co.uk                                              BS20 8PN



PRESENT:    Cllrs.  D Giles, P Harris and M Squire

                       Jason Beale, North Somerset Council Planning Department

                        Jennifer Fawcett-Thorne, Parish Liaison Officer

                       1 parishioner

                       Mrs C Dixon, Parish Clerk


As Cllrs Yates-Round and Down were absent, Cllr Giles volunteered to be Chair and this was

agreed.  He introduced Jason Beale, who was attending to help the councillors with any

planning problems.  Cllr Giles opened up the meeting to all and a parishioner asked why his

planning application had been refused by North Somerset Council when the parish council had

no objections.   The reason for refusal was given as the extension was an “L” shape and not in

keeping with the village.  However, the village has various building styles.  The parishioner had

met with District Cllr Nigel Ashton who then referred to planning officers and the application

was eventually approved.   Mr Beale advised that parish councils are important in knowing

what would be suitable for the area.  He also said building control can be subjective, but the

officers try and manage consistency and get things right. There was then discussion on planning

appeals and Mr Beale said 85% of planning appeals go as per North Somerset Council decision.

Parishioners’ comments are considered.   Some decisions could be delegated to the parish

council especially if there is a Neighbourhood Parish Plan, but following discussion, it was

agreed that having a Plan could be costly and would not be of benefit to this parish.  Cllr Squire

advised that this parish had a mixed set of dwellings, Conservation Area and farmland with

Green Belt surrounding the village.

Concern that District Council’s refusal of application could undermine the parish councillors’

decision. A wood cabin had been proposed recently, but had been refused by district council

even though parish councillors agreed it.   Jason Beale advised there was information on the

North Somerset Council website and the next parish forum would have an item about planning

guidelines. Following parish councillor asking where the starting point for considering

applications should be, Mr Beale suggested using local knowledge and see residential design

guide for house extensions (on website).  Mr Beale was asked about problems with planning

applications on the internet and concern about comments made.   Clerk said she was concerned

about planning applications being missed, for instance if she was ill, as she is the only officer

receiving planning application emails.   Also parish council had not received details of an

application close to its boundary, when it should have had an opportunity to discuss it.  Jason

Beale noted this and asked for any problems to be notified to him. 

Cllr Giles thanked Jason Beale for attending the meeting and Mr Beale then left.


1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE:  Cllrs P Yates-Round, D Down, J Bennett, Rob Thomson of Highways, North Somerset Council and Police representatives (no crime to report)


2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING: The minutes of 1st September meeting were agreed and signed off by Cllr Giles. 








Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3  Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                          Clevedon Road

Email: blackrockcfd@hotmail.com                                                      Portishead

Website: www.westoningordano.co.uk                                              BS20 8PN



Bank balance:  £9488.72 (includes part precept of £3,000 received)

Balance at this time last year £7218.55 

Clerk’s monthly expenses: £1.20

Invoices:  SWALEC - electricity for Cadbury Lane lamp and phone box-   £not yet received

                 SSE Cadbury Lane lamp maintenance                                            £11.90

                 Information Governance Training for Clerk                                   £30.00

(Clerk had applied to attend this to be held on Monday 17th October prior to parish      council meeting and hoped parish councillors would be in agreement with this, which   following discussion, they are.  Invoice for this not yet received)

                 Clerk’s part salary                                                                        £325.00                        

Clerk had previously circulated details of a Precept consultation from the Government via  ALCA – whilst automatic precept referendums (undertaken if a council asks for more than 2% increase in precept, which could cost £l,000) would only be for larger councils at the moment, it could be rolled out to parish councils in the future and this could undermine parish councillors’ decisions.  Councillors asked to complete consultation and Clerk to consult with Cllr Yates-Round about comment from parish council.

Councillors signed off four cheques



Housing and Planning Act 2016 Neighbourhood Planning from ALCA – previously circulated to parish councillors.  NOTED



Rob Thomson from Highways had given Jennifer Fawcett-Thorne copies of proposed highways changes in village as he was unable to be at the meeting.  These include new road narrows signage by Sprigg Drive (although there was concern that these could restrict Cllr Harris’s view when leaving his drive at Sprigg farm).  Councillors asked for rumble strips at each end of the village as well as refreshing existing yellow bars on road.  There was discussion on the suggestions.  It was hoped Rob Thomson would be available to attend the November parish council meeting.

There was concern about a hedge overhanging the road by The Old Rectory and owners have previously not responded to requests to prune it.  It was agreed to monitor this and raise the issue again at the next parish council meeting.



From North Somerset –– Invite to Parish/Town Councils briefing on 1st November at Town Hall, Weston super Mare.   NOTED


Clerks & Councils Direct – Newsletter - NOTED


8. SPEEDWATCH:  Speedwatches have been undertaken in the village and Cllr Squire advised he attended a meeting at Police HQ on 12th September.  He advised Police do not have priority on B3124.  There is a new database in operation and speeding drivers are getting a new letter. Database will collect information from Speedwatches and covert cameras.  Speed Enforcement Unit covering new problem areas.  New cameras can be used at night and in the rain. Cllr Squire advised that all high speed drivers through B3124 are from out of the county.





Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3  Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                          Clevedon Road

Email: blackrockcfd@hotmail.com                                                      Portishead

                  Website: www.westoningordano.co.uk                                               BS20 8PN



9. GORDANO GREENWAY:  Nothing to report.


10.NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH:  There is still a co-ordinator vacancy.  Clerk advised that as she receives police emails regarding details of local crime in lieu of a local co-ordinator, she received an invite to attend a Citizens Academy run by the police HQ.  This is running for 10 weeks (now on week 4) on Wednesday evenings 6.30-8.30 and she has been finding this very interesting.  Topics covered so far are neighbourhood policing, victim support, antisocial behaviour, restorative justice, communications (999 and 101 call centre), child sexual exploitation, domestic abuse and hate crime.


11. RURAL BROADBAND;  Nothing to report. 



There was a suggestion that parish councillors meet on Middle Hill Common to view the state it is in, as it was believed no work had been carried out by Avon Wildlife Trust this year.  This item to be monitored and discussed at next meeting. 


Future PC meetings (all Thursdays): 2016 –

3rd November, 1st December.


5th January, 2nd February, 2nd March, 6th April, 4th May, 1st June, 6th July, 3rd August, 7th September, 5th October, 2nd November and 7th December 


There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.15p.m.ighways).High