Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3 Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                          Clevedon Road

Email:blackrockcfd@hotmail.com                                                       Portishead

Website: www.westoningordano.co.uk                                              BS20 8PN



PRESENT:    Cllrs.  J Bennett, Mrs S Chambers, D Down, D Giles, P Harris, M Squire and

                        P Yates-Round

                       Jennifer Fawcett-Thorne, Parish Liaison Officer

                       Sarah Friend, Village Agent

                       Mrs C Dixon, Parish Clerk


The Chairman welcomed Sarah Friend, the new Village Agent, to the meeting.


1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE:  Police representatives (no crime to report)


2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING: The minutes of 3rd November meeting were agreed and signed off by Cllr Yates-Round. 





Bank balance:  £8099.36

Balance at this time last year £5908.95

Clerk’s monthly expenses: £3.00

Invoices:  SWALEC - electricity for Cadbury Lane lamp and phone box-   £not yet received, but will be about £10-£11.

An Invoice from the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of registration of White Hart WiG Ltd for 2016-2017 had been passed to the parish council from a parishioner, David Lewis, who had organised the setting up of the company when the pub was unoccupied.  Following discussion it was agreed to pay this in case a company was needed to run the pub in future.

Request from parishioner Stu Redway, who publishes the Parish Pump, for donation towards this.  Following discussion agreed to continue to underwrite the Parish Pump and donate £300.oo with offer to Stu Redway to seek further donation in future.  Suggestion that perhaps pub and social committee could contribute (Cllr Bennett to put to social committee).    

Councillors signed off three cheques.

Estimated subscription renewal for 2017/2018 from ALCA - £54.30  Noted.



Advice of North Somerset Council Town/Parish Council Planning Workshop Thursday 8th December 9.30-12.00, New Council Chamber, Town Hall Offices in Weston Super Mare.  Clerk asked if a councillor could attend this on behalf of the parish.

16/P/12692/LDE – Lawful Development Certificate for existing siting of mobile home at Sprigg Farm – Noted and understand no comments required.


Enforcement case – Sprigg Farm – Lawful Development Certificate for mobile home.  Other alleged breaches on site under consideration.  Noted.









Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3  Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                          Clevedon Road

Email: blackrockcfd@hotmail.com                                                      Portishead

Website: www.westoningordano.co.uk                                              BS20 8PN



Rob Thomson from Highways will attend the open meeting on 5th January with Rich Smith.  Suggested that parish council meeting be at 7 p.m. with open meeting at 7.30 p.m.  

Following Clerk having written to the owners of The Old Rectory about the hedge overhanging the road, they had now replied as follows: “Thank you for your letter of 9th November re the hedges on our boundary to Clevedon Road.  We make the following points:  1. Despite the hedges growing into the road, car (and pedal cyclists) are nearly always breaking the 30mph speed limit as they pass our hidden driveway. 2. If drivers broke their wing mirrors as they entered the village on the hedges they must have been exceeding the 30mph speed limit. 3. Unlike the Portishead entrance to the village there is no 50mph speed limit prior to entering the 30mph speed limit zone, which, together with the downhill slope into the village at that point, prevents drivers from slowing down to 30mph by the time they reach our hidden driveway. 

Therefore until the Highways Agency and Weston in Gordano Parish Council introduce speed calming measures/a permanent camera on entering the Clevedon side of the village, we will not be undertaking any pruning.  We are not being difficult, but continue to believe that our overgrowing vegetation is the only speed calming measure that might help prevent a serious accident (that could result in one or more fatalities) occurring. “ 

Following discussion it was reluctantly agreed to ask North Somerset Highways to ask the owners to prune the hedge and if not they would get this done by a contractor.  Clerk to write to David Bailey (Jennifer Fawcett-Thorne will confirm if this is the right contact) and sending a copy of the letter from the owners of The Old Rectory, who had been asked before to prune the hedge. Clerk to reply to owners that parish council disappointed at their explanation for not pruning the hedge and the damage to cars and possible injury to cyclists and the matter is reluctantly being reported to North Somerset Council Highways. 

Parking in Hill Lane.  Parishioner had reported two separate instances of cars parking in Hill Lane so that the recycling lorry could not get through.  A parish council standard letter had been put on the cars’ windscreen.  Concern that emergency vehicles could not get through.  One car had Reeds Rains estate agents name on it and Clerk asked to write to them about the parking.  Following discussion Clerk was asked to contact PC Jenny Clark about the way forward with this problem.

Middle Hill Common – following Clerk writing to Avon Wildlife Trust (AWT) about the state of the Common, Bernie D’arcy had replied saying she would be visiting the Common soon.  Clerk to respond and ask for her thoughts on the state of the Common (also Cllr Down).  There was discussion on the Common and it was believed that AWT are not responsible for restoring the Common back to its original state and boundaries before the Trust took over managing it.  However, the Trust may be able to acquire funding for the work.  It was agreed that the Common is a village asset and it was suggested that the village be asked if they wish the Common to be reinstated to its original boundary, perhaps at the 5th January open meeting.  Suggestion of ascertaining how much it would cost to clear brambles and brush and if that is done then ask AWT to carry on managing it.  AWT may think it should stay as a wilderness.                 

Clerk to check lease with AWT about what they are responsible for.











Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3  Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                          Clevedon Road

Email: blackrockcfd@hotmail.com                                                      Portishead

Website: www.westoningordano.co.uk                                                             BS20 8PN



From North Somerset –– Town/Parish Workshop – 8th Dec – New Council Chamber, Town Hall, WSM 9.30-12.00 - Noted


Sarah Friend – introduction re new Village Agent

Black Rock Specialist Training Centre- offer of tour round facility on 14th Dec. at 10.00 – all parish councillors able to attend.


8. SPEEDWATCH:  Not many speedwatches organised as it had been too cold, wet and dark.  Police motor bike has been in the village. They now have an infrared camera which can be used at night.  Walton in Gordano now set up, trained and ready to go using land outside the village hall. 


9. GORDANO GREENWAY:  Nothing to report.


10.NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH:  There is still a co-ordinator vacancy.   Cllr Squire had had tools stolen from his garage and in Hill Lane there had been an attempted crime.  Cllr Squire had contacted Police and there is CCTV footage from the White Hart and a private owner plus a footprint which might help catch the thief.  Suggestion of putting an item in the Parish Pump advising house owners to be vigilant.


11. RURAL BROADBAND;  Clerk to reply “yes” to an email she had received from a parishioner asking if the parish council is involved with getting fibre broadband into the village. 

Cllr Yates-Round is in contact with District Cllr Nigel Ashton and will ask him to speak to the parish council, perhaps in February on this matter.



The Village Agent, Sarah Parish, asked if the parish council had a Resilience Officer in case of emergencies, nationally or locally.  Suggestion of having a “telephone tree”.  It was suggested this is put to the next Annual Assembly.  She also advised of a club for bulk buying oil for domestic use.    


Future PC meetings (all Thursdays): –


5th January, (to include public meeting about highways improvements)  2nd February, 2nd March, 6th April, 4th May, 1st June, 6th July, 3rd August, 7th September, 5th October, 2nd November and 7th December 


There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.00p.m.ighways).High