WESTON IN GORDANO

PARISH COUNCIL

 

Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3 Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                         Clevedon Road

Email:blackrockcfd@hotmail.com                                                      Portishead

Website: www.westoningordano.co.uk                                              BS20 8PN

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 3rd AUGUST 2017 AT 7.30 p.m. IN THE VILLAGE HALL, WESTON IN GORDANO

PRESENT:    Cllrs.  D Down, D Giles, P Harris, Mrs S Chambers, M Squire and P Yates-Round

                       3 Parishioners                 

                       Mrs C Dixon, Parish Clerk

 

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE:  Cllr J Bennett and Jennifer Fawcett-Thorne, Parish Liaison Officer.  

 

2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING: The minutes of 6th July 2017 meeting were agreed and signed off by Cllr Yates-Round.  .

 

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES AND ACTIONS :  Clerk had received an email from Jennifer Fawcett-Thorne advising that she is leaving North Somerset Council and would therefore not be continuing as Parish Liaison Officer. 

 

4. FINANCE:

Bank balance:  £10,170.64

Balance at this time last year £6,908.57

Clerk’s monthly expenses: £9.80 (including purchase of stamps)

Invoices:  SWALEC - electricity for Cadbury Lane lamp and phone box-   £tba

Following agreement last month to donate the remainder of funds from White Hart Community Interest Group (which has now closed down) to the WiG Village Hall Committee at the Group’s request, Clerk advised that the amount should be £130, not £110, as Parish Council had paid £60 (not £70) per year for 2 years for re-registration of Group.

Sts Peter & Paul Church – request for donation towards burial ground maintenance – last year PC, donated £500.  Following discussion agreed to pay £595.oo                          

WiG Village Hall Committee seeking donation towards hall insurance premium.  As the Parish Council do not pay for the use of the hall, agreed to pay £713.57, the amount of the insurance premium.  Hall Committee had found a cheaper insurer. 

                 Four cheques were signed off.

 

5. PLANNING:

Advice of planning appeal (APP/DO121/X/17/3177371) re certificate of lawfulness for the existing use of building as a residential dwellinghouse at Sprigg Farm for Mr P Harris (planning ref: 17/P/0769/LDE.  Noted.

 

6. HIGHWAYS/PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY:  Remaining road markings and 20mph signs between Church and pub plus “dragon‘s teeth” to be installed on evening of Monday 7th August to minimise disruption to traffic.  Kerbing already installed. Planters by pub (including area next to phone box) and village green to be organised soon.  Area by Duck Pond Barn (corner of B3124 and Church Close) already planted up.

 

Application from North Somerset Council for Modification of Definitive Map under Section 53(5) of Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 – Blackberry Lane, WiG.  Claimed Byway Open to All Traffic.  The original proposal had been raised in 2005, but the district council were now putting the suggestion on a formal footing.  Following discussion about the safety of making the bridleway open to all traffic, it was agreed that this could prove dangerous for all users – cars, cyclists, pedestrians, children, horses and pets.  The Parish Council had objected before and Clerk was asked to reply that the current parish councillors still object to this proposal.   Clerk asked to forward email and letter to Avon Wildlife Trust and also to those on local database.     

Clerk had received a reply from Morrisons Supermarket apologising for lorries using B3124 when M5 closed.  Clerk to put up replies on noticeboard from those companies following letter sent about this, which had been organised by Cllr Squire.   Cllr Yates-Round thanked him for all his work on this.

 

7. ROUTINE CORRESPONDENCE:

From North Somerset –– Amendments to Register of Electors - Noted

 

Bristol Airport - Newsletter – Circulated.

 

8. SPEEDWATCH:  No Speedwatches had been undertaken due to weather and work commitments. 

 

9. GORDANO GREENWAY:  Nothing to report.

 

10.NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH:  There is still a co-ordinator vacancy.  

    

11. RURAL BROADBAND:  New contractor awaited instead of BT.   Should be more news in two weeks’ time.  Government has given importance to agricultural areas.

 

12. VILLAGE GREEN:  Following Clerk having sent a letter to Mr and Mrs Morley at Honeysuckle Cottage asking that they should stop parking their car on the Village Green by 1st August, Mr Morley had replied: “ We are very disappointed with the Parish Council’s decision regarding parking on the village green.  My wife and I attended the parish Council meeting in March with support from some of our neighbours we listened to your points of view and had a chance to air our opinions about parking on the Green.  Since the meeting we thought that common sense had prevailed and the matter had been dropped as we had not had any further communication from yourselves.

I would like to remind you, respectfully and politely that the garage was built in 1956 and is reasonable to assume that parking as well as crossing the green to use the garage has long been established, in fact long before the Parish Council took over ownership of the Green. I feel every owner of Honeysuckle Cottage has enjoyed the right to park on the green and so a precedent has been in force for approximately 61 years.  We bought Honeysuckle Cottage on 5.3.2005 and for the whole of our occupation we have parked our car on the track on the green which leads to our garage, which you acknowledge we have right of access to.  We have made no alterations or improvement to the green, but have continuously maintained it by cutting the grass and weeding.

We had hoped that the parish Council would agree that parking on the right of way would continue without hindering plans for the enhancement of the village green.   We believe that a planting scheme similar to that at Duck Pond Barn could be achieved by making use of the perimeter frontage to Clevedon Road and Hill lane and that the western boundary would be an area significantly greater than at Duck Pond Barn.

We would be grateful if you could send us the minutes and agendas of the following meetings held in March, April, May and June 2017 as we are still unable to access them on Parish Council website.”

Following discussion, Clerk to write to Mr Morley by Recorded Mail to say any parking on the Village Green is to cease with immediate effect as it is illegal to park on a Village Green and refer to the encroachment on or interference with the enjoyment of the green is deemed under s.29 of the Commons Act 1876 to be a public nuisance and also as advised in The parish Councillors Guide published by Shaw & Sons Ltd August 1970.  Also refer him to Gov.UK.  A sign will be placed on the Green informing all that parking on the Green is illegal.  The PC will be reinstating the surface of the green to grass and that the hard standing, which has been laid illegally, will be replaced.  The parish council do not expect Mr & Mrs Morley to contribute to this as the illegal work was undertaken before their ownership of Honeysuckle Cottage.  All alterations and work undertaken for restoration will be carried out at the Parish Council’s expense.  A working party is being formed to undertake the work that will soon begin, so Mr. Morley will no longer need to tend the Green. 

Cllr Squire produced a sketch of the Green so that Councillors could consider what they would like installed.  There will be a budget agreed for the works including replacing the tarmac with grass and a local man will be asked to quote for this.  Suggestion of a bench in the corner looking towards the pump and pub.  

All parish councillors agreed to the above actions.        

 

13. ANY OTHER BUSINESS: 

Councillors Down and Yates-Round had met with Avon Wildlife Trust (AWT).   AWT did not know there was going to be a fete in the Church Field, although permission had been given by a previous AWT representative.  AWT have advised the White Hart owner that the field cannot be used as an overflow car park and they are to be advised of any events to be held there.  Cllr Down advised he needed to have 2 fields on standby in case of having to move his cattle.  Following discussion agreed that AWT will be informed when there is an event in Church Field.  Suggestion of sending letter to AWT confirming that any events will be confirmed with Cllr Down (tenant farmer).  Cllr Giles asked why AWT need to know when there are any events.

Clerk had written to Rev. Noel Hector inviting him to a parish council meeting.  He is concerned that the church is not being used.  He replied he will come to either October or December meeting.  There is a suggestion of a children’s singing and book club in the church. 

Cllr Harris passed a letter to the Chairman before leaving the meeting.    

    

 

Future PC meetings (all Thursdays): –

2017

7th September, 5th October, 2nd November and 7th December 

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.25p.m.ighways).High