Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3 Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                         Clevedon Road

Email:blackrockcfd@hotmail.com                                                      Portishead

Website: www.westoningordano.co.uk                                              BS20 8PN



PRESENT:    Cllrs.  J Bennett, D Down, D Giles, Mrs S Chambers, M Squire and P Yates-Round

                       Rev. Noel Hector

                       Bernie D’arcy and Eric Smith from Avon Wildlife Trust

                       4 Parishioners                

                       Mrs C Dixon, Parish Clerk


Cllr Yates-Round welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Police had advised no crime

reported in the village.


Chairman opened the meeting to Rev. Noel Hector who said the church wishes to be a good

neighbour and asked what the church represented to parishioners and how it fits in the

community.  How can the church be more active in the community, apart from the weddings,

baptisms and funerals (he didn’t wish to compete with the village hall)?  Chairman said he

had spoken with other parishioners about this and remembered there was a Sunday Club for

children when he first came to the village and suggested this be started up again.  Also there

was a lady in the village keen to start up a book club.  Suggestion of a wildlife trail, to include

bats, etc.  It was agreed that St Peter and Paul’s church is a beautiful building and should be

used more and not closed.   Rev. Hector advised that the church would be closed temporarily

for a servery to be installed to enable simple catering.   There is produce and a library in the

porch.  Councillor suggested putting a light in the porch especially for dark evenings. 

Councillor asked about a loop system in the church to aid hearing. Rev. Hector said he would

look into this and have it repaired if there is a system.  He thanked the parish councillors for

their ideas.


Chairman then introduced Bernie D’arcy and Eric Smith from Avon Wildlife Trust (AWT),

who is Head of Land Management.  A funding application has been put in to do more work on

Weston Moor Reserve to encourage lapwings back into the valley and of course any other birds.

There are only three sites in the old Avon area where lapwings breed and Weston Moor is one

of them.  Volunteers working during the winter on hedges, especially in the orchard.  It was

noted that there are plenty of apples and Bernie said anybody who wishes to pick them could do

so.   Following discussion it was decided that an Apply Day would be held on Sunday 15th

October to pick the crop and use them to make apple juice with a juicer. 

There has been a hay cut on Middle Hill Common and Bernie advised AWT have objected to

North Somerset Council about the suggested bridleway originally proposed in 2005.  Gordano

Bridleway Society had negotiated the bridleway across the Common some years ago.

AWT have no objection to parking on the fields behind the church, but need to know about this

beforehand.  AWT are receiving money for looking after the fields and cannot mow them

between 1st April and 30th June.    Cllr Down asked if the field could be taken out of the

statutory scheme when this comes to an end in 2023.  Church orchard is not in the scheme.

Councillor suggested AWT put in a regular article for the Parish Pump advising of what is

happening on the reserves in the area.  Chairman thanked Bernie and Eric for attending.                  




2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING: The minutes of 7th September 2017 meeting were agreed and signed off by Cllr Yates-Round.  .





Bank balance:  £8,700.08

Balance at this time last year £9,488.72

Clerk’s monthly expenses: £3.80

Invoices:  SWALEC - electricity for Cadbury Lane lamp and phone box-   £11.29

            Clerk’s part salary                                                                               £325.oo

            SSE Enterprise Cadbury Lane lamp Maintenance                              £  11.90

            Donation sought by Stuart Redway towards Parish Pump

Following discussion it was agreed to donate £300.oo to Stuart Redway towards the Parish Pump and four cheques were signed.



17/P/2139/PDA - Sprigg Farm, Clevedon Road, Weston-in-Gordano,  Prior notification of the proposed erection of an agricultural workshop building.  NOTED

Enforcement Notice Appeal Notification letter – APP/DO121/C/17/31812448 – Sprigg Farm, Appellants – M P Harris, Mr C Harris, Miss A G Harris and Mrs S Hawken

Decision re application 17/P/2139/PDA – Sprigg Farm – Prior notification of proposed erection of an agricultural workshop building – North Somerset Council reply that proposed development is not permitted as landholding is less than 5 hectares and is in mixed use.  Same reply for 17/P/2138/PDA – Sprigg Farm for agricultural storage.  NOTED


Emails received from North Somerset Council re new Planning system due to be installed in early October, but now deferred for a month.  NOTED

Email from Mr and Mrs Stringer – advising following them sending copies of their letters re importation of waste to model aeroplane club site to District Cllr Nigel Ashton, they have now been advised that North Somerset Council is investigating unauthorised works (see September 2017 Minutes Item 6 Highways).  There was discussion on the disappointment by councillors at the actions of the AMARC when the village had tried to accommodate them.  Many trucks are still using Cadbury Lane, when it was believed the work would have been completed by now.  Chairman said he was told by AMARC that they had planning permission, but this may not be so.  It was believed the club had naively passed over control of the works to contractors.  There was concern at the hazardous waste on the site (which had formerly been a waste disposal site).   There was a query whether the Environment Agency are involved as waste could be leaching out into water courses.  Avon Wildlife Trust had concerns about the club flying model aircraft over Clapton Reserve.

Cllr Yates-Round will write to the club about the parish council’s concerns.    



Highways England letter re M5 closure 9th October +.  Clerk had received email letter re closure of M5 for resurfacing work starting on 9th October and had responded asking, and it has been confirmed, that extra signs be put up at the diversion advising the B3124 was not suitable for heavy vehicles.  It was hoped this would deter some lorry drivers from using the road.  There was concern about the mental health of residents and suggestion of citizens’ response with volunteers stopping lorries.  There is also the damage to properties by vibration and to the road surface.  Suggestion that residents request a reduction in community tax.


Following Chairman requesting a weight restriction on the B3124, he had received a reply from Rob Thomson who advised he cannot impose this immediately mainly because of the problems for businesses, especially local ones.  Also the procedure is not currently identified on the council’s agreed highways works programme for this year. Councillors were very disappointed that businesses were being put before the health and safety of residents and Clerk was asked to reply saying so, copying in Phil Bush of North Somerset Council Highways, District Councillor Nigel Ashton, Liam Fox MP and Walton in Gordano Parish Council.  Clerk to send copies of replies from companies regarding not using the road and suggesting weight limit.     

Councillors were pleased to learn that the 20mph speed limit would be extended from the church to Old Thatch (and not the White Hart as previously).  North Somerset Highways have suggested putting planters jutting into the road in that area, to slow down traffic.   All Councillors agreed to this.  

There was a suggestion of putting flowers on top of the bollards in the narrows.

There was discussion on using a contractor to maintain the planters. Cllr Bennett gave details of a planting scheme and he will obtain costs for maintaining this.  

Suggestion of putting 20mph at eye level of car drivers.  



From North Somerset –– None


Clerks & Councils Direct – Newsletter - Noted

Email from ALCA regarding Siston Parish’s problem with their defibrillator.  When it was needed, emergency services did not know number to unlock it.  It was believed this would not happen in the village as it was a different model, but Cllr Giles said he would ask the Lions representative about this, as they were co-partners with the parish council in installing it.  


8. SPEEDWATCH:  Speedwatches being undertaken.


9. GORDANO GREENWAY:  Cllr Yates-Round advised he had seen an email suggesting the project was not a priority.  He has replied to this.   Project is progressing slowly.


10.NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH:  Nothing to report.


11. RURAL BROADBAND:  Cllr Yates-Round thought he was due to attend a meeting at Town Hall, but nothing to date.


12. VILLAGE GREEN: Nothing has been heard about parking on the Village Green, in fact the owner of Honeysuckle Cottage has been parking in the road or in the garage.  




Future PC meetings (all Thursdays): –


2nd November and 7th December 


There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.00p.m.ighways).High