WESTON-IN-GORDANO

PARISH COUNCIL

 

Clerk:  Mrs C Dixon                                                                           3 Black Rock Villas

Tel: Portishead (01275) 849200                                                         Clevedon Road

Email:blackrockcfd@hotmail.com                                                      Portishead

Website: www.westoningordano.co.uk                                              BS20 8PN

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 1st FEBRUARY 2018 AT 7.30 p.m. IN THE VILLAGE HALL, WESTON IN GORDANO

PRESENT:    Cllrs. J Bennett, Mrs S Chambers, D Down, D Giles, M Squire and P Yates-Round   

                       4 parishioners              

                       Mrs C Dixon, Parish Clerk

 

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE:  Cllr P Harris.

 

2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING: The minutes of 4th and 23rd January 2018 meetings were agreed and signed off by Cllr Yates-Round.

 

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES AND ACTIONS: see separate items.

 

4. FINANCE:

Bank balance:  £10,681.13

Balance at this time last year £

Clerk’s monthly expenses: £13.60 (includes 2 meetings and stamps purchased)

Invoices:  SWALEC - electricity for Cadbury Lane lamp and phone box-   £11.16

                  Squire Property Services (Cllr Squire) building sample planter   £90.00                            

Councillors signed off two cheques.

Clerk had received two quotes for a hearing loop system in the hall:-

Location Sound Bristol    £1171.00   Audio Visual Direct £697.00

Following discussion it was agreed to meet with the Village Hall Committee as there could be a cheaper option.  ACTION – Clerk to ascertain when the next Village Hall Committee meeting is.

Clerk had received two emails with quotes for supplying a Data Protection Officer when law comes into place in May 2018 that all organisations should have such a person to be in charge of data held.  Audit West quoted £900 and North Somerset Council £375.   Following discussion it was agreed to defer any decision to nearer the time when there may be a special case for parish councils.     

           

5. PLANNING:  Clerk advised she had put a comment on the North Somerset Council planning portal advising parish council supports 17/P/5077/FUH – Creation of driveway and parking at Honeysuckle Cottage, Clevedon Road.

 

6. HIGHWAYS/PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY: 

Chairman opened up meeting and parishioner asked for bus shelters by the bus stops.  ACTION Following discussion, Clerk was asked to write to First Bus about this, although a previous request some years ago had been refused.   Parish council meeting continued.

Two (Female) parishioners also advised that when walking round the village, they had both been stopped on separate occasions, by the police, who had received a report of a woman wandering round the village. 

North Somerset Council Highways will start works on 5th February to instal more dragons-teeth and 2 planters in the road, together with 20mph speed limit.  There was discussion on having more kerbs in the village to protect pedestrians. 

 

6. HIGHWAYS/PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY:  (continued)

Chairman opened up the meeting.  Following a parishioner having received a letter from North Somerset Council regarding placement of one of the planters in the road by the bus stop near Moorcroft, he was concerned this could cause a problem as traffic in the opposite direction would not be able to get past.  Cllr Giles will contact Rob Thomson and check that this has been taken into consideration.

Cllr Yates-Round had received an email from Nick Gough, PACT (Portishead Partners and  Communities Together) advising that at a meeting in Portishead two drivers had complained of the amount of cones in the village (Weston in Gordano), which had nearly caused a bad accident.  Chairman had replied that they had been put there whilst roadworks taking place to protect pedestrians and had now been removed.  Further road measures are being implemented to ensure safety for pedestrians in the village.

Cllr Bennett advised 17 planters will be put round the village and letters on behalf of the Parish Council will be sent to those homeowners who will be affected.  2 planters will be put on the pavement outside the Bellows to deter cars parking there.  

   

7. ROUTINE CORRESPONDENCE:

From North Somerset –– None

 

National Grid – Letter re offer of free trees/hedging for use on land within area of Avonmouth for planting to offset implementation of electricity connection between Bridgwater and Seabank, Avonmouth.  Following discussion Clerk to reply that parish council interested.

 

8. SPEEDWATCH:  Speedwatch undertaken on 29th January at 10.30 a.m.  The first car was travelling over the limit, however the remaining 110 vehicles were within the limit.   It was noted that 8 pedestrians had used the narrows in the 20-minutes Speedwatch was undertaken.  There was discussion on the speed of traffic through the village and how important the 20mph speed limit will be.       

 

9. GORDANO GREENWAY:  Surveys ongoing.     

 

10.NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH:  Nothing to report.

    

11. RURAL BROADBAND:   Awaiting to hear from North Somerset Council.

  

12. MIDDLE HILL COMMON BRIDLEWAY:  Chairman read out email from parishioner who had attended the meeting about this proposal.  The Public Rights of Way Sub Committee accepted the recommendation to reject the Byway open to all Traffic application, but will proceed with the proposal to change it to a Bridleway designation.  A letter will go out to interested parties about the bridleway over the Common, which the Parish Council does not support.  Chairman said it is important parishioners object to this suggestion.        

 

13. ANY OTHER BUSINESS:   Cllr Squires had brought a copy of a paper version of the suggested noticeboard with a brief history of the village and a map of where to find places of interest.   Councillors were pleased with this and thanked Cllr Squires for his hard work. 

 

Future PC meetings (all Thursdays): – 2018 1st March, 5th April, 3rd May, 7th June, 5th July, 2nd August, 6th September, 4th October, 1st November and 6th December.  

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.15p.m.ighways).High